In honor of my 10th year in business I thought it would be fun to take a look back at some fun tidbits from 2002!
1) I married my college sweetie! On September 1st 2002, after 7 years of dating, we were married at the Chateaux of Fox Meadows in Broomfield, Colorado. It was fantastic – we had tons of family and friends there – it was for sure one of the best days of my life! (I don’t know if you can do the math here…but I’m only 35 and I’ve been with my darling hubby for 17 years!!!)
2) Celebrity weddings of 2002:
5) American Idol debuted June 11th. As of 2011, it is the most watched TV series in the Nielsen ratings and the only program to have been number one for seven consecutive seasons, surpassing All in the Family and The Cosby Show, which were both number one for five consecutive seasons. (source: Wikipedia)
6) Another reality show debut: The Bachelor – Alex Michel was the very first guy to take the title and the winning gal was Amanda Marsh. According to wikipedia.org, Michel did not propose to Marsh, but instead they took a chance at a relationship. Marsh and Michel broke up after several months. Trista Rehn was the runner up. Rehn was then featured on the first season of The Bachelorette and chose Ryan Sutter as the winner. The couple was married on December 6, 2003. They were paid $1 million by ABC for affording the network the right to televise their wedding ceremony, which was broadcast as the finale of a three-episode special called Trista & Ryan’s Wedding, which drew over 26 million viewers, making it one of the most-widely viewed episodes in the history of reality television. They are still married and have two children together….and live right here in Colorado. (source: Wikipedia)7) SPORTS: (source: Wikipedia)
Superbowl XXXVI: The New England Patriots won their first Superbowl by defeating the NFC Champions St. Louis Rams 20-17 as kicker Adam Vinatieri made a game-winning 48-yard field goal as time expired. This victory is on of the biggest upsets in Superbowl history. The halftime show featured U2 singing “Beautiful Day”, “MLK” and “Where the Streets Have No Name”…all while the names of 9/11 victims were floating into the sky behind the band. (In 2009 si.com ranked it as the best halftime show in Superbowl history).
NBA Finals: The Los Angeles Lakers swept the New Jersey Nets four games to none.
Stanley Cup Finals: The Detoit Red Wings defeated the Carolina Hurricanes in five games.
MLS Cup: The Los Angeles Galaxy beat the New England Revolution 1-0 in the 2nd overtime on a sudden-death goal.
World Series: The Anaheim Angels won four games to three against the San Francisco Giants.
8) MUSIC: Top Songs in 2002 (source: Billboard)
1. How You Remind Me, Nickelback
2. Foolish, Ashanti
3. Hot in Herre, Nelly
4. Dilemma, Nelly Featuring Kelly Rowland
5. Wherever You Will Go, The Calling
6. A Thousand Miles, Vanessa Carlton
7. In the End, Linkin Park
8. What’s Luv?, Fat Joe Featuring Ashanti
9. U Got It Bad, Usher
10. Blurry, Puddle Of Mudd
9) MOVIES: Top Movies in 2002 (source: Wikipedia)
1. The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
4. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
5. Men In Black II
6. Die Another Day
8. Ice Age
9. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
10. Minority Report
10) My final tidbit: the average price for a gallon of gas in 2002 was only $1.39! (source: Los Angeles Times)